The Swan is believed to date from around 1430 and had many medieval features, including wall art. Originally the house belonged to a merchant and served the many visiting vessels; the harbour was at that time just at the end of Kings Head St. It was first licenced as a pub in the early 1700s and by the middle of that century also had an onsite brewery. The Swan closed in 1910 and became a private residence. It re-opened as a licenced pub in the Spring of 2018.
There’s a researched history of the Swan on the Harwich Pub Trail website, a joint venture between Tendring CAMRA and the Harwich Society.
The Swan was listed in 1951, it is Grade II*